- Associated Press - Saturday, July 19, 2014

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) - Memphis firefighters say an apartment fire started when three small children were playing with a cigarette lighter in the bedroom.

Firefighters credited two apartment staff members for pulling the children, ages 2, 5 and 6, from the burning two-story building on Friday afternoon.

The Memphis Fire Department said in a release that the residence did not have a working smoke detector, and three units were damaged by smoke, fire or water.

About 40 firefighters and emergency personnel responded to the scene at Pendleton West Apartments. No one was hurt.

The fire was brought under control at around 4:30 p.m. The building sustained about $25,000 in structural damage.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide