- Associated Press - Saturday, July 19, 2014

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - Fire investigators say a pile of rags soaked with linseed oil spontaneously combusted, causing the fire that heavily damaged a two-story Cedar Rapids home.

The rags had been used to apply the oil to kitchen cabinets earlier in the day Friday. Linseed oil is a common household product used as a wood polish and sealant. The oil can produce enough heat in rags to ignite.

The family of three was not home at the time of the fire, and no injuries were reported. But the house suffered heavy fires damage on the first floor and heavy smoke damage throughout.

The fire was deemed unintentional.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide