- Associated Press - Monday, July 21, 2014

HILLSBORO, Ore. (AP) - Firefighters in Hillsboro, Oregon, say 18 workers needed medical treatment after breathing battery fumes.

Hillsboro Fire and Rescue spokesman Storm Smith says dozens of people were evacuated from Cascade Systems Technologies on Monday and some of them had problems breathing. Others complained of nausea and eye and nose irritations.

Smith says 17 people with symptoms were taken by ambulance to local hospitals. An 18th employee drove to a doctor’s office.

Smith described the injuries as minor.

Company managers told investigators that several lead acid batteries were placed on a timed charger over the weekend. The charger failed to shut off in time and two batteries produced acid fumes after overheating.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide