- Associated Press - Monday, July 21, 2014

DIXON, Ill. (AP) - The accidental electrocution last month of a 3-year-old Illinois boy was caused by current from an improperly grounded family camper.

The (Dixon) Telegraph reports (https://bit.ly/1kJtxWV ) it’s a problem known among recreational vehicle enthusiasts as “hot skin.”

Landyn Gerald Keener, a 3-year-old from Amboy, died June 30 when he touched a door handle of the camper while standing on wet ground.

Lee County Sheriff John Varga calls it a tragic accident and says nobody was at fault.

Electrical engineer Mike Sokol tells the newspaper he’s started a website to educate RV owners about electrical safety. He recommends buying a noncontact voltage tester at a hardware store to test for problems. He also recommends using only electrical outlets for RVs that were installed by a professional.

___

Online: https://www.noshockzone.org/

___

Information from: Dixon Telegraph, https://www.saukvalley.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide