- Associated Press - Friday, July 25, 2014

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) - Fort Wayne’s first homicide of 2014 has been determined to be self-defense.

The Allen County prosecutor’s office says no charges will be filed in the Jan. 19 shooting and killing of 32-year-old Damian Miller II.

WANE-TV reports (https://bit.ly/1kfhshw ) that investigators found that a security guard at a northside bar shot Miller in self-defense after Miller struck him in the mouth with a broken beer bottle.

The statement from the prosecutor’s office didn’t say what started the fight. A friend of Miller’s previously said the pair began fighting while the guard was trying to get everyone to leave at closing time.

Indiana’s self-defense law doesn’t require a person to retreat if the person reasonably believes force is justified.

As of July 7, Fort Wayne had seen eight homicides this year.

___

Information from: WANE-TV, https://www.wane.com/

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide