- Associated Press - Thursday, July 31, 2014

SAN MARCOS, Texas (AP) - San Marcos fire officials say two incidents of carbon monoxide exposure have killed one worker and hospitalized another.

Fire Marshal Ken Bell says the separate incidents happened within a 12-hour period spanning Tuesday and Wednesday.

Fifty-seven-year-old Rob Schmid died about 15 feet below ground late Tuesday afternoon in a chamber at a state-run fish hatchery. He was exposed to the gas while working on an underground pump. Bell says the colorless, odorless gas was at five times the limit that humans can handle.

The second incident happened early Wednesday morning at a private construction site across town. Bell says a worker was operating a machine in a confined space. The unnamed worker is being treated in a hypobaric chamber at an area hospital.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide