- Associated Press - Friday, July 4, 2014

SWANTON, Md. (AP) - Authorities say a 9-year-old boy was severely burned in a fireworks accident in western Maryland.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office says the boy suffered burns on 50 percent of his body, including his upper torso, neck and arms. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital and was in critical condition after the accident Friday morning.

Authorities say the boy was at the Savage River State Forest with his mother, who was inside a tent at the time of the accident. Investigators found that the boy went outside and ignited a sparkler, which caused his shirt to catch fire.

State Fire Marshal Brian Geraci is urging parents to keep fireworks out of the reach of children.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide