- Associated Press - Sunday, July 6, 2014

EMPORIA, Kan. (AP) - Improperly disposed of fireworks are blamed for at least three fires in Emporia, including one that destroyed an assisted living facility.

KVOE (https://bit.ly/1mXEaVF ) reports smoldering fireworks were stored in a plastic trash can that was rolled up against Sterling House on Friday night. The resulting fire destroyed most of the assisted living residence and displaced 21 residents

Firefighters were called to a house fire around 6 p.m. Saturday where fireworks put into a plastic trash can smoldered overnight and ignited some siding and a window sill.

That fire came at the heels of a similar fire elsewhere in the city where smoldering materials were not properly handled before damaging siding of a home and forcing firefighters to tear down a ceiling to make sure the fire was put out.


Information from: KVOE-AM.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide