- Associated Press - Monday, July 7, 2014

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) - A New Hampshire police officer who was sentenced to a year in jail for leaving the scene after he struck two teens with his unmarked police car has been released after less than three months.

WMUR-TV reports (https://bit.ly/1jhEALX) the jail superintendent released former Manchester police Sgt. Stephen Coco on a daily reporting program requiring him to phone in.

Coco had been charged with conduct after an accident. Prosecutors said he was off-duty on March 22, 2013, when he struck the teens from behind, injuring them.

Coco said he hadn’t left home that night, but police said his SUV had front-end damage.

Coco said there’s no chance he will re-offend. But state attorneys have challenged the superintendent’s decision.

The judge took the matter under advisement and will release a ruling.

___

Information from: WMUR-TV, https://wmur.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide