- Associated Press - Monday, July 7, 2014

MOLALLA, Ore. (AP) - After nearly four hours of overnight negotiations between Clackamas County deputies and a man who had assaulted his wife, a SWAT team arrived early Monday and gunfire broke out almost immediately, authorities said.

The 36-year-old man was killed, and the sheriff’s office said it was trying to determine whether he shot himself or was killed by the gunfire from officers.

He was identified as Shane Griffin, who lived with his wife and young children in a rural home near Molalla, The Oregonian (https://bit.ly/1qOmD9N) reported.

“We had tried to negotiate him to surrender,” said Sgt. Nate Thompson, the sheriff’s department spokesman.

But Griffin was uncooperative during telephone calls and text messages, Thompson said, so the SWAT team was summoned.

It arrived about 2 a.m. and encountered Griffin outside the house.

“The whole confrontation took place in the driveway,” said Sgt. Nate Thompson said.

The sheriff’s office declined to provide more details, saying it was still investigating the shooting.

Griffin’s wife fled from the house Sunday night with the children after he threatened her with several firearms and assaulted her, the sheriff’s office said in a statement. But she did not require medical treatment, Thompson said.

Thompson said a 911 call had come from inside the house, but he didn’t know immediately from whom.

Clackamas Women’s Services said that Griffin was responsible for “an incredibly dangerous series of acts of domestic violence … We believe that the victim and the children will be spared from the worst fate of domestic violence thanks to the Sheriff’s Office timely response.”


Information from: The Oregonian, https://www.oregonlive.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide