By Associated Press - Wednesday, June 11, 2014

DELL RAPIDS, S.D. (AP) - Authorities say a stalled SUV sparked the gas leak fire in Dell Rapids that burned for more than four hours Tuesday.

Capt. Paul Niedringhaus of the Minnehaha County Sheriff’s Department on Wednesday said the vehicle stalled right over the gas leak. Niedringhaus said the fire began when the driver started the ignition again.

The driver suffered minor burns.

A contractor drilling in the area hit the pipe. The gas line fire led to the closure of area streets and the evacuation of homes and businesses. The flames initially were 20 to 30 feet high.

MidAmerican Energy operates the line. A spokeswoman says the damaged pipe is a 4-inch steel metro gas line that runs down the road and feeds the service lines that go into the residences.

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide