- Associated Press - Wednesday, June 11, 2014

LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) - Authorities say an hours-long standoff with a man holed up inside a Las Cruces home ended with a fiery explosion.

Dona Ana County Sheriff’s deputies did not release the condition Wednesday of the 60-year-old man who had been barricaded inside for the past two days.

Sheriff’s spokeswoman Kelly Jameson says the suspect was fighting with his adult son.

The son reportedly returned to the home Tuesday afternoon with a sheriff’s deputy.

Authorities say that’s when the suspect fired a shot through front door.

The deputy then called in a tactical response team.

Jameson says the suspect did not respond to crisis negotiators.

Jameson says an explosion went off inside at about 8:30 p.m. A subsequent fire was extinguished.

The state Department of Public Safety is investigating.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide