- Associated Press - Friday, June 13, 2014

DELL RAPIDS, S.D. (AP) - A Dell Rapids handyman who repairs washers and dryers says he lost all of his tools when his SUV went up in flames from a gas leak.

James Hallem tells KELO television (https://bit.ly/1iun5ll ) that he’s thankful to have suffered just minor burns in the incident on Tuesday.

Authorities say his SUV stalled right over a gas leak and sparked the fire in Dell Rapids that burned for more than four hours.

A contractor drilling in the area hit the pipe. Fire erupted when Hallem restarted his SUV.

Hallem says the flames shot five to 10 feet around the vehicle and about ten to 15 feet in the air. The former policeman says he was in the middle of a mass ball of fire and ran to safety.


Information from: KELO-TV, https://www.keloland.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide