- Associated Press - Friday, June 13, 2014

DUBUQUE, Iowa (AP) - A Dubuque County district judge has rejected a proposed plea deal with a man accused of neglecting a 2-year-old boy before the boy died.

Judge Monica Ackley on Thursday put back on track the trial for 36-year-old Nicholas Reed. Ackley says she made her decision after reviewing the agreement and a presentence investigation.

Last year prosecutors dropped a first-degree murder charge against Reed in the November 2012 death of 2-year-old Bentley Randall, saying there was not enough evidence to get a conviction. A count of child neglect and two drug violation counts remain against Reed.

Police have said the boy’s mother left him in Reed’s care on Nov. 23, 2012. Later that day Reed brought Bentley into a Dubuque hospital unresponsive and severely burned. The boy died two days later.

___

Information from: Telegraph Herald, https://www.thonline.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide