- Associated Press - Monday, June 16, 2014

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - The man firefighters found dead at a Vancouver apartment fire died of smoke inhalation.

The Clark County medical examiner on Monday ruled the death of 52-year-old Gavino S. Rodriguez an accident.

Firefighters had attempted to reach his third-floor unit during the Thursday morning fire but the stairwell burned away. Hours later they were able to reach the apartment by ladder and found his body.

The Columbian reports (https://bit.ly/1pabtbl ) some residents of the Sunpointe Apartments banged on doors when the fire broke out just after midnight, but no one on the third floor answered.

City Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said the two-alarm fire started accidentally on a bottom floor patio.

Six units in the building were destroyed.

___

Information from: The Columbian, https://www.columbian.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide