- Associated Press - Monday, June 16, 2014

BEAUFORT, S.C. (AP) - A South Carolina tow-truck driver is now charged with murder in the shooting death of a man following a dispute over a booted vehicle.

Jury selection began Monday in Beaufort County in the trial of 30-year-old Preston Oates, charged in the shooting death of 34-year-old Carlos Olivera of Bluffton on Christmas Eve 2010.

As proceedings began, Deputy Solicitor Sean Thornton said Oates, originally charged with involuntary manslaughter, was indicted earlier this year on a murder charge. Thornton said the charge was filed under seal to avoid media speculation about the development.

Oates’ lawyers have argued their client is protected under state preventing prosecution of someone protecting themselves or others in their home, workplace or vehicle.

But a judge ruled in 2012 the so-called castle doctrine did not apply to Oates.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide