- Associated Press - Monday, June 16, 2014

BROOKINGS, Ore. (AP) - The state police SWAT team was called in to arrest a suspect in a sexual assault case in Brookings after he barricaded himself in the back room of a house along U.S. Highway 101, claiming he had a gun and a hostage.

Curry County Sheriff John Bishop says when officers stormed the house before dawn Sunday, they found Lorenzo Ignacio King had stabbed himself in the thighs in an attempt to bleed to death.

Police found a handgun, but no hostage. A Coast Guard helicopter flew King to the hospital in Coos Bay. Following treatment, he was taken to jail.

Bishop said King, 42, is from Arroyo Grande, California, but had been working as a camp cook in Alaska.

He was held on $1 million bail after arraignment Monday on assault and sodomy charges, according to court records. Bishop said more charges were likely.

Court-appointed defense attorney Jim Gardner said he had no comment.

Biishop said it started Saturday when officers from Brookings police, state police and the sheriff’s office went to a house on the north end of town where King was house-sitting to serve a search warrant based on a complaint from a woman King met in a bar. When police tried to serve the warrant, King barricaded himself in a back room and threatened to kill anyone who came to get him.

Police left the house, called in the state police SWAT team, and evacuated the area around the house.

During the course of the standoff, King refused to talk to negotiators, even when a robot was sent in. After filling the house with tear gas, officers heard King gasping and rushed in and found him in a bathroom covered in blood. He refused to obey orders, and they subdued him with a stun gun, Bishop said.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide