- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 17, 2014

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Alaska health officials say a probable case of paralytic shellfish poisoning serves as a reminder of the ever-present risk in recreationally harvested shellfish.

The current case involves razor clams and possibly butter clams that were harvested Sunday in Clam Gulch.

Officials say the patient began experiencing symptoms of the poisoning about four hours after ingestion. Department of Health spokesman Greg Wilkinson says the stricken man has since improved.

According to officials, early signs of the poisoning can include tingling of the tongue and lips. Symptoms can progress to tingling of toes and fingers, followed by loss of control of legs and arms, as well as difficulty breathing.

Officials say death can also result.

Officials say PSP cannot be cooked or cleaned from shellfish. Commercial shellfish is considered safe.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide