By Associated Press - Thursday, June 19, 2014

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) - A 19-year-old University of Montana student who was burned in a weekend explosion was hospitalized in critical condition and needs skin grafts.

Steve Keller of Great Falls tells the Missoulian ( ) his son Mat Keller was scheduled to undergo skin graft surgery on Thursday at the University of Utah burn unit.

Keller says his son suffered second-degree burns to his head, face, hands and legs when a woman poured denatured alcohol on a bonfire early Sunday, after his son told her not to.

Police apparently weren’t called. Steve Keller said he reported his son’s injuries to Missoula police on Monday.

The bonfire was being held at the University of Montana-owned housing the female student was renting. UM spokeswoman Peggy Kuhr says university lease agreements do not allow open burning or the burning of candles.


Information from: Missoulian,

Copyright © 2022 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide