- Associated Press - Friday, June 20, 2014

OSO, Wash. (AP) - A stretch of Washington state highway that was buried in the deadly March 22 Oso mudslide reopened Friday afternoon to two-way traffic.

State Transportation Department spokesman Bart Treece says contractor crews have spent the past week patching and repaving damaged sections of State Highway 530 to allow for safe travel in both directions. Since late May, traffic had been operating on a one-way basis, with a pilot car alternating directions of travel based on demand.

The speed limit in the area will remain 25 mph to keep construction workers safe.

Treece says work will continue through the summer to build a permanent new section of highway south of the temporarily repaired roadway.

Of the 43 people killed by the slide, a 44-year-old woman, Kris Regelbrugge, is still missing.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide