- Associated Press - Saturday, June 21, 2014

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) - Mississippi’s Department of Environmental Quality has ended its closure of a section of beach in Gulfport, saying bacteria levels in the water are again at acceptable levels.

The affected area stretched from Alfonso Drive east to Arkansas Avenue in Gulfport.

On June 10, the agency reported an estimated 56,000 gallons of sewage spilled into the Mississippi Sound. Gulfport Public Works Director Wayne Miller told The Sun Herald last week (https://bit.ly/1poNrJI ) that a manhole was mistakenly filled with concrete. He said fixes are being explored, but a bypass is in place to prevent further leaks.

The DEQ announced the re-opening Friday afternoon after sampling by the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide