- Associated Press - Sunday, June 22, 2014

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - An annual Wichita anti-gang event won’t be happening this year after the grant that funded the walk was not renewed.

The Wichita Eagle (https://bit.ly/1l1BnKi ) reports the Wichita Walk Against Gang Violence drew an estimated 2,000 to 3,000 people last year, but there wasn’t enough liquor tax money to fund it this year.

State law requires lone-third of liquor tax revenues to go toward programs that focus on substance abuse prevention or treatment. A spokeswoman for ComCare, which distributes the grants, says the focus of the group running the gang walk is on gangs.

Safe Streets founder David Fulton says his organization has applied for a Drug Free Communities Grant that would provide $125,000 a year for five years and could help revive the gang walk next year.

___

Information from: The Wichita (Kan.) Eagle, https://www.kansas.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide