- Associated Press - Monday, June 23, 2014

VANCOUVER, Wash. (AP) - The Vancouver fire marshal says a woman who died in an apartment fire apparently started it accidentally by falling asleep while smoking a cigarette.

The 27-year-old woman died of smoke inhalation.

Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli told The Columbian (https://bit.ly/1jJ7miE ) the woman had been smoking in bed Sunday morning.

Residents who saw smoke at the second-floor apartment banged on the door and then forced their way inside. They rescued a dog before they were forced out by thick smoke.

Firefighters contained the fire to one unit at the Courtyard Village Apartments in Vancouver’s Rose Village neighborhood. Property damage is estimated at $42,000.


Information from: The Columbian, https://www.columbian.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide