- Associated Press - Thursday, June 26, 2014

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Officials are warning dog owners to beware of a dangerous algae showing up in Minnesota waters.

The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency says a dog died last weekend after swimming in a Sherburne County lake that had developed areas of heavy algae growth.

The Star Tribune (https://strib.mn/1lsDewI ) reports officials suspect blue-green algae killed the dog. They are advising pet owners to check water conditions when dogs are playing in lakes or slow-flowing streams.

Blue-green algae “blooms” have a thick, cloudy appearance that can look like green paint, pea soup or floating mats of scum. Some species of blue-green algae contain toxins that can be deadly to dogs, livestock and other animals.

In this case, most of the visible algae on Prairie Lake was not blue-green algae. But MPCA staff found some blue-green algae mixed in.

___

Information from: Star Tribune, https://www.startribune.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide