- Associated Press - Tuesday, June 3, 2014

SOUTH HAMPTON, N.H. (AP) - New Hampshire State Police safely arrested an armed man Tuesday night hours after he’d had a confrontation with police at his home in southern New Hampshire.

Maj. David Parenteau said officers found Anthony Reardon, 44, back in his South Hampton home near the Massachusetts border more than four hours after he fled into nearby woods.

Parenteau said state police and a Kensington officer who first went to Reardon’s home for a well-being check around 4:30 p.m. found him with weapons that he refused to surrender.

He said Reardon then tried to get away in an unoccupied Kensington police car, rammed it into two police cars and abandoned it when he got it stuck in woods along a neighbor’s property. Shots were fired during the incident but no one was hurt, and police say they are still sorting out the exchange.

It wasn’t immediately known why police were conducting the well-being check at Reardon’s house.

Law enforcement officers, including SWAT teams, condoned off the area. Residents of South Hampton and nearby Kensington were told to shelter in place or stay away as some roads were closed.

The Portsmouth Herald reported that one couple at a police command center in Kensington said their two young children were sheltering at home with their baby sitter. The father told the newspaper the children and baby sitter were safe in the basement.

“They’re getting hungry,” he said. “That’s all they can tell us.”

Another resident told the Herald he was coming home from work when he was stopped at a police roadblock. He said his wife, who was at home, was “very, very scared.”

Massachusetts state police sent personnel to Amebury, just across the state border, in case they were needed.

Parenteau said Reardon is a military veteran who has lived in the area for a long time and apparently had not been in any previous trouble. He did not specify what weapons Reardon had, but said police believe a flak jacket he was wearing was his own.

He said Reardon was being examined at a hospital. It wasn’t known what charges might be filed against him.

Kensington Police Chief Mike Sielecki said police don’t believe Reardon took anything from the squad car but investigators will examine it as well as investigate how it was taken.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide