- Associated Press - Monday, June 30, 2014

COEUR D’ALENE, Idaho (AP) - Two young Coeur d’Alene children are hospitalized in Seattle after suffering burns when a gas can exploded near a backyard fire pit.

Police say a 35-year-old man poured gasoline from a five-gallon can onto the fire at about 5 p.m. Saturday when the can caught fire. He threw the can behind him, where it exploded and burned an 8-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl.

The Spokesman-Review reports the boy was hospitalized in intensive care with first-and second-degree burns on 21 percent of his body, mostly his legs and arms. The girl suffered burns in 9 percent of her body.

Sgt. Christie Wood says police have forwarded the results of their investigation to Kootenai County prosecutors to determine if charges should be filed.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide