- Associated Press - Thursday, March 27, 2014

PETALUMA, Calif. (AP) - Federal officials have approved a Northern California company’s plans to take over a shuttered slaughterhouse that was at the center of a major beef recall.

The Press Democrat of Santa Rosa reports (https://bit.ly/QkjAXw) that the U.S. Department of Agriculture confirmed on Wednesday that it has certified Marin Sun Farms to operate the Petaluma slaughterhouse. The company will take over from Rancho Feeding Corp., which recalled last month all 8.7 million pounds of beef processed at the facility in 2013.

The USDA has said it processed diseased and unhealthy animals and circumvented federal inspection rules. The recalled beef was sold at Walmart and other national chains and used in products, including Hot Pockets.

Robert Singleton, a partner in Rancho, has denied the allegations.

Marin Sun Farms says it plans to reopen the slaughterhouse in April.

___

Information from: The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, https://www.pressdemocrat.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide