LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) - A Lubbock fire official says two women died and a man was injured in a two-alarm blaze at a small apartment complex and a space heater is the suspected cause.
Deputy Fire Marshal Robert Loveless said Thursday that the space heater was too close to combustible materials on the building’s first floor.
He says the man was taken to a Lubbock hospital but his condition wasn’t immediately available.
The identities of the three people haven’t been released.
Loveless says the fire trapped second-floor residents. The women’s bodies were found on the second floor. Several other occupants in the eight-unit complex jumped to safety.
Loveless says autopsies were scheduled for Thursday.
The fire started just before midnight Wednesday. Firefighters arrived within two minutes; the complex is right behind a fire station.
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.