- Associated Press - Thursday, November 13, 2014

MOSCOW (AP) - The man who led Russia’s winning bid for the 2018 World Cup has denied obstructing a FIFA investigation into corruption during the bid process.

Both Russia and Qatar were cleared by a FIFA judge on Thursday, but the ruling noted that computers from the Russian bid had been destroyed and emails were unavailable.

Alexei Sorokin, who now runs the local organizing committee, says “everything we could supply to the investigation, we did.”

Sorokin says the bid team’s computers had been rented and the organization lost track of them after the bidding process ended.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide