- Associated Press - Friday, November 21, 2014

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. (AP) - Health officials say a southeastern Adams County man has died after contracting hantavirus.

The Tri-County Health Department announced Friday the man, whose name and age have not been released, died Nov. 15.

Investigators say he was probably exposed to the virus while repairing plumbing in a small space that had rodent droppings, or while working in a garage where rodents frequented.

People are infected by breathing in the virus during direct contact with rodents or by disturbing dust and feces from mice nests or surfaces contaminated with mice droppings.

Symptoms include muscle aches, fatigue, high fever, dizziness, headaches, chills, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, which can lead to death.

Hantavirus is rare, with an average of four cases a year in Colorado.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide