- Associated Press - Saturday, November 22, 2014

YANKTON, S.D. (AP) - A fire department in South Dakota is asking residents to be careful when using turkey fryers this holiday season.

Yankton Deputy Fire Chief Larry Nickles tells the Press and Dakotan that people attempting to fry a turkey must make sure that the bird is completely thawed. He says that a frozen turkey going into very hot grease causes a boil-over which in turn causes fires.

Nickles says turkey fryers should not be used inside any structure. He adds that his department has responded to a couple of garage fires and a deck blaze.

The National Fire Protection Association says cooking is the leading cause of home fires in the country.

Nicles adds the pot’s oil level also must be checked carefully to avoid an overflow when the turkey is lowered.

___

Information from: Yankton Press and Dakotan, https://www.yankton.net/


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide