- Associated Press - Monday, November 3, 2014

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) - Savannah fire officials are offering Georgians tips to stay safe while heating their homes as cold weather moves into the region.

Officials warn against using extension cords to power space heaters and say fuel powered heating devices should never be used indoors. Gas powered heaters release carbon monoxide, an odorless gas that can be fatal.

Fire officials say Georgians should also change the batteries in their smoke detectors, press the test button once monthly to ensure that it works and clear spider webs, dust and other obstructions from around the detectors to let air flow inside.

Officials say families should also discuss and practice fire escape plans to identify potential problems that could arise in the event of an emergency.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide