- Associated Press - Thursday, November 6, 2014

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - The Indiana Department of Education took its website down Thursday after it was hacked for the second time in four days.

The home page was hacked Thursday afternoon, apparently by the same party responsible for the takeover Monday morning. The department says there’s no sign that any data hosted on the website was compromised in either takeover.

“The Department’s Information Technology staff has taken the website down temporarily while this issue is addressed,” the department said in a news release.

Before it was taken down, the website showed a message: “SURPRISED WE ARE HERE AGAIAN ??? THE LAST TIME THIS SITE WAS DOWN NO PATCH WAS DONE,” The Indianapolis Star reported.

When the department’s home page was taken over Monday, it was changed to say it had been hacked by the Nigeria Cyber Army, department spokesman Daniel Altman told the Star. The website was briefly taken offline but was back up later Monday.



Monday’s hacking attempt stemmed from a vulnerability in the website’s content management system, he said.

“There’s a patch that we’re putting into place to fix it, but that obviously takes time,” Altman said Monday.

The department said that while its home page was offline, some resources remained online. They included:

- Indiana K-12 School Data at https://compass.doe.in.gov

- Learning Connection at https://learningconnection.doe.in.gov

- Department Moodle Courses at https://moodler.doe.in.gov

- Education Department online at https://dc.doe.in.gov/DOEOnline/login.aspx

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide