- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 1, 2014

DETROIT (AP) - The state says it plans to rebuild a pedestrian bridge over a Detroit freeway that was pulled down last week by a trash truck.

Michigan Department of Transportation spokeswoman Diane Cross tells The Detroit News that it’s too soon to release details on the rebuilding project, however.

The Detroit Free Press reports MDOT is working to estimate damage and cleanup costs. The agency says it expects to seek reimbursement for the costs, likely from insurance for the waste disposal company whose truck was involved.

The bridge collapsed Friday onto the Southfield Freeway after the truck struck the overpass. Police say 54-year-old truck driver Stanford Doll of Almont died following the crash, which left rush hour traffic snarled.

Cause of death is under investigation, pending the result of toxicology tests.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide