- Associated Press - Sunday, October 12, 2014

MAHOPAC, N.Y. (AP) - Firefighters responding to a report of a blaze inside the Olympic Diner found about two dozen patrons eating their meals and employees working despite the smoke.

According to the Journal News, (https://lohud.us/1yqD2Vw_ ) the diner’s owner said he thought the smoke was the heating system that he had turned on earlier because of the chilly Saturday morning.

But firefighters walked through the restaurant and the air grew thicker with smoke, the paper reported, and they heard a sound in the walls near the stove. It turned out to be a real blaze inside the walls. The patrons were evacuated. Crews battled the fire for more than an hour and no injuries were reported.

The diner owner says he’ll repair and rebuild. The Mahopac restaurant has been open about 35 years.

___

Information from: The Journal News, https://www.lohud.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide