- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 15, 2014

MONROE, La. (AP) - The controversial mobile food vendor ordinance will once again come before the Monroe City Council.

The ordinance, which was written and submitted by City Council Chairman Ray Armstrong, was the cause of much public debate earlier this year as local businesses and Monroe Mayor Jamie Mayo expressed their disagreement and the council voted not to introduce the bill.

Mayo threatened to veto the ordinance if it did pass earlier this year.

Armstrong tells The News-Star (https://tnsne.ws/1wG2Oka ) he has rewritten the ordinance so that all of the concerns from the previous debates have been addressed.

“I have done extensive research into this,” he said. “I would encourage the passage of this ordinance.”

If the ordinance were to be passed at the council’s next meeting, it would allow for mobile food vendors, such as food trucks, hot dog carts and other forms, to operate in the city of Monroe.

One woman expressed her disagreement with the ordinance and said the ordinance would hurt small business owners in the city.

Armstrong said it is illegal to prohibit the passing of an ordinance to protect businesses from other competitors.

“America was not built by regulation,” he said. “America was built by people seeking freedom who were willing to take risks.”

Armstrong added that the success of mobile food vendors makes them a great opportunity for the city of Monroe.

The ordinance will be open for more public discussion at the council’s next meeting Oct. 28.

___

Information from: The News-Star, https://www.thenewsstar.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide