- Associated Press - Thursday, October 2, 2014

CAMPTI, La. (AP) - Fire officials say an electrical short in an extension cord is to blame for a deadly mobile home fire that claimed the life of a Campti couple.

The state Fire Marshal’s Office say 68-year-old Florence Pickett Berguin and her husband, 70-year-old John Harrison Berguin, were pronounced dead Tuesday night after being removed from the home.

Investigators say initial findings indicate the fire began in a spare bedroom of the couple’s home. They say an extension cord connecting a power strip and a window-mounted air conditioner was placed between the frame of a bed and a wall.

Investigators said at the point where the bed frame met the cord resulted in an electrical arc which ignited the bedding and mattress.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide