- Associated Press - Thursday, October 2, 2014

CAMPTI, La. (AP) - Fire officials say an electrical short in an extension cord is to blame for a deadly mobile home fire that claimed the life of a Campti couple.

The state Fire Marshal’s Office say 68-year-old Florence Pickett Berguin and her husband, 70-year-old John Harrison Berguin, were pronounced dead Tuesday night after being removed from the home.

Investigators say initial findings indicate the fire began in a spare bedroom of the couple’s home. They say an extension cord connecting a power strip and a window-mounted air conditioner was placed between the frame of a bed and a wall.

Investigators said at the point where the bed frame met the cord resulted in an electrical arc which ignited the bedding and mattress.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide