- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 21, 2014

PORTAGE, Wis. (AP) - The principal of a Portage elementary school says it was the universal sign for choking that let him know a fifth-grader was in serious trouble.

John Muir Elementary School Principal Jason Meyer saw 11-year-old Trent Weier place his hands on his throat when he began choking on a mini-corn dog at school recently.

Trent says when he couldn’t breathe he stood up in the lunch room. One friend thought he was messing around. Another friend didn’t know what to do.

Then Principal Meyer came to his rescue with the Heimlich maneuver. One thrust and out popped the corn dog.

Meyer tells the Portage Daily Register (https://bit.ly/ZMyhqn ) that Trent is the real hero. He says he wouldn’t have known he was choking if Trent hadn’t made the emergency gesture.

___

Information from: Portage Daily Register, https://www.portagedailyregister.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide