- Associated Press - Friday, October 3, 2014

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay (AP) - Oscar Tabarez has signed a new four-year contract to coach Uruguay through the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

The Uruguayan Football Association announced the deal Friday but did not give salary details.

Tabarez, who was acting coach until signing the contract, included Luis Suarez on Thursday in the squad to play two international friendlies this month against Saudi Arabia and Oman. It will be his first appearance with Uruguay since biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup in Brazil.

Suarez is permitted to play in friendlies but is still banned from Uruguay’s next eight competitive matches. He will miss next year’s Copa America in Chile and some World Cup qualifiers.

The ban also covers competitive matches until later this month for his club team Barcelona.

Tabarez was asked Friday what he thought of Suarez’s bite three months later.

Tabarez was defiant after Suarez’s suspension and said there had been a plot against him “for a long time.” He suggested there was a campaign by FIFA and the English-language media to get Suarez.

“I will only speak with Luis Suarez about my thoughts,” he said. “You must be humble and not judge. I know people have an opinion about it, but judging doesn’t amuse me.”

This will be Tabarez’s fourth World Cup cycle. He coached Uruguay in 1990 in Italy, 2010 in South Africa and earlier this year in Brazil.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide