- Associated Press - Friday, October 31, 2014

LYNDEN, Wash. (AP) - A fire chief in Lynden, Washington, says a roofing torch ignited glue fumes, creating a fireball that left three roofers with first- and second-degree burns.

The Bellingham Herald reports (https://is.gd/GGO75C ) that Fire Chief Gary Barr says four men, aged 20 to about 50, were working Friday on a new roof that had been covered in plastic for rain protection. Some moisture had gotten through and the men were using a roofing torch to dry the area when the flame ignited some trapped fumes.

Two workers jumped about 14 feet to the concrete below. They were taken to a hospital.

Barr says it’s not clear how the third worker reached the ground but he was taken to a hospital in an advanced life support ambulance.

All three men were burned but their injuries aren’t thought to be life-threatening.

A fourth man declined to go to a hospital.


Information from: The Bellingham Herald, https://www.bellinghamherald.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide