- Associated Press - Thursday, October 9, 2014

CHICAGO (AP) - Charges were filed Thursday against an Indiana man who authorities say engaged in a shootout with Chicago police as they acted on an arrest warrant issued in three Indianapolis shootings.

Daniel Brown, 42, was charged with first-degree murder, attempted murder and aggravated battery. Police say Brown opened fire after officers tracked him to a Chicago apartment building in the Englewood neighborhood on the city’s South Side, killing a man, wounding two officers and keeping the others at bay during a nighttime standoff that lasted for hours.

Chicago Police Captain Ed Kulbida, 58, who was struck in the head and shoulder during the standoff, was released from the hospital Thursday. A detective was also wounded during the standoff, Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy said for the first time Thursday.

McCarthy said the man didn’t know he had been shot until he got home. He took himself to a hospital for treatment.

The body of Dan Jackson, 42, was found in the apartment where Brown was arrested. He had been shot in the chest during the six-hour standoff, authorities said.

“Evidence suggests that Brown may also be responsible for the death of Jackson,” McCarthy said.

It was not immediately clear if Brown has an attorney. He remained in custody at Cook County Jail late Thursday.

The gun Brown used was legally purchased in Indiana by Brown’s girlfriend and had an expanded magazine, McCarthy said.

“You hear me say it all the time, and you’re going to hear me say it again: Our violence problem is a gun problem,” McCarthy said, alluding to a Thursday subway shooting in which an assault rifle stolen in Indiana was used.

Brown is accused in Indianapolis of wounding three people in separate shootings last Saturday during a burst of violence that police say began with an argument with his girlfriend.

The couple was traveling in a car with one of the girlfriend’s female friends and Brown’s nephew. Brown accused the friend of interfering in the couple’s relationship, pulled a gun and shot her, according to an affidavit from an Indianapolis police detective.

After being shot, the friend jumped from the car and fled on foot. Brown chased her and continued to fire shots, according to the detective. Officers found her inside a gas station with a gunshot wound.

A short time later, Brown shot another woman at a motel and a man at a shopping center, according to the affidavit. Investigators did not have a motive for those other shootings, but police said Brown knew the victims and they were not random acts.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide