- Associated Press - Friday, September 12, 2014

MOUNTLAKE TERRACE, Wash. (AP) - A fire department spokeswoman says a fire likely caused by a smoldering cigarette butt has displaced 25 people and caused more than $500,000 damage at a Mountlake Terrace apartment complex.

Snohomish County Fire District 1 spokeswoman Leslie Hynes said flames were coming from three apartments in a three-story, 24-unit building at the Taluswood Apartments when firefighters arrived Friday morning.

No people were hurt. Firefighters administered oxygen to one dog rescued from an apartment heavily damaged by the fire.

Two other units sustained smoke and water damage while residents of seven other units were displaced because the fire cut off their electricity.

About 45 firefighters from several departments responded to the two-alarm fire, which was ruled accidental.

An American Red Cross chapter is helping the displaced residents.

Mountlake Terrace is north of Seattle.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide