- Associated Press - Saturday, September 13, 2014

SEATTLE (AP) - Seattle parks and public health officials have closed a popular city lake to swimming and other water contact for people and pets because of an increased level of toxins in the algae.

The city said Friday that dog owners should be careful not to allow animals to go into or drink from Green Lake.

Contact with the toxins can lead to symptoms that include eye, nose and mouth irritation and skin rash. Swallowing the toxins may cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting and in severe cases, liver damage.

The lake remains open to fishing and boating in stable boats.

Parks officials say a warm, dry summer promoted the algae bloom. Blooms typically disappear as the weather cools.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide