- Associated Press - Monday, September 15, 2014

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) - In a story Sept. 12 about the cleanup effort at the CTS site in Buncombe County, The Associated Press reported erroneously that Environmental Protection Agency contractors were blocked from getting access to the location. The workers initially denied access were contractors for CTS, not the EPA.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Family blocks cleanup crew in Buncombe County

Family blocks contractors from cleanup location in Buncombe County

ASHEVILLE, N.C. - A family living next to a polluted plant site in Buncombe County blocked cleanup contractors with CTS from getting to the location for hours.



Multiple media outlets reported that Dot Rice’s family used trucks and logs to keep the contractors off their land.

Rice says contractors showed up earlier this week to start cleanup at a wetlands and spring area that’s polluted with chemicals from the plant just up the hill from her land.

She said her agreement for access to the site expired in 2012, though the family did later allow initial cleanup work to start.

Rice wants her own technical adviser on the project. She said the Environmental Protection Agency would not allow that.

The Rice family said the access dispute could end up in court.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide