- Associated Press - Wednesday, September 17, 2014

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - Health officials say the first case of enterovirus 68 in a child in Connecticut has been confirmed.

The state Department of Public Health says it received confirmation Wednesday from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Dr. Karen Santucci of Yale-New Haven Hospital’s children’s emergency department said the 6-year-old girl was treated there last week and discharged.

Other hospitals in Connecticut have suspected cases of enterovirus 68 and are awaiting test results.

Authorities say 16 states now have confirmed cases of the uncommon virus, which can cause mild to severe illness with the worst cases needing life support for breathing problems. Doctors say most cases have symptoms like those of the common cold.

Kids with asthma have been especially vulnerable. No deaths have been reported.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide