- Associated Press - Wednesday, September 17, 2014

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) - In stories before and on Aug. 25 about the shooting of unarmed 18-year-old Michael Brown by Ferguson, Missouri, police officer Darren Wilson, The Associated Press, relying on information from authorities, erroneously reported that Wilson had served two years as an officer in Jennings, Missouri, before serving for four years in Ferguson. Records show Wilson served almost two years in Jennings and just less than three years in Ferguson before the shooting.

A corrected version of the story is below:

Key events following the death of Michael Brown

Timeline of events following fatal shooting of Michael Brown in St. Louis suburb of Ferguson

By The Associated Press

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) - A timeline of key events following the fatal police shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson.

AUG. 9 - Brown and a companion are confronted by an officer as they walk back to Brown’s home from a convenience store. Brown and the officer are involved in some kind of scuffle, followed by gunshots. Brown dies at the scene.

AUG. 10 - After a candlelight vigil, people protesting Brown’s death smash car windows and carry away armloads of looted goods from stores. In the first of several nights of violence, looters are seen making off with bags of food, toilet paper and alcohol. Some protesters stand atop police cars and taunt officers.

AUG. 11 - The FBI opens an investigation into Brown’s death, and two men who said they saw the shooting tell reporters that Brown had his hands raised when the officer approached with his weapon and fired repeatedly. That night, police in riot gear fire tear gas and rubber bullets to try to disperse a crowd.

AUG. 12 - Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson cancels plans to release the name of the officer who shot Brown, citing death threats against the police department and City Hall. The Rev. Al Sharpton and President Barack Obama both plead for calm after two nights of clashes between police and protesters.

AUG. 13 - Another night of violence wracks Ferguson, with some people lobbing Molotov cocktails and other objects at police, who respond with smoke bombs and tear gas. Two reporters are detained at a McDonald’s. Images of the standoff, showing police using armored vehicles and pointing assault rifles at the crowds, are widely shared on social media.

AUG. 14 - The Missouri Highway Patrol takes control of security in Ferguson, relieving local police of their law-enforcement authority after four days of violence. Within hours, the mood among protesters becomes lighter, even festive. The streets are filled with music, free food and even laughter.

AUG. 15 - Police identify the officer who shot Brown as Darren Wilson, a 28-year-old man who had patrolled the St. Louis suburbs for nearly five years - almost two years in nearby Jennings, Missouri, then just less than three years in Ferguson. They also release a video purporting to show Brown robbing a convenience store of almost $50 worth of cigars shortly before he was killed. The video draws anger from protesters. After nightfall, officers and the crowds clash again. Some people in the crowd storm into the same convenience store that Brown was accused of robbing and loot it.

AUG. 16 - Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon declares a state of emergency and imposes a curfew in Ferguson. The first night of the curfew ends with tear gas and seven arrests, after police in riot gear use armored vehicles to disperse defiant protesters who refused to leave.

AUG. 17- Attorney General Eric Holder orders a federal medical examiner to perform another autopsy on Brown. The Justice Department cites the “extraordinary circumstances” surrounding the death and a request by Brown’s family members. Police use tear gas to clear the street that has been the scene of most protests three hours ahead of the curfew after reports of gunfire, looting and people hurling Molotov cocktails.

AUG. 18 - Nixon calls the National Guard to Ferguson to help restore order and lifts the curfew. A pathologist hired by the family says an independent autopsy determined that Brown was shot at least six times, including twice in the head. A bullet wound to his right arm may indicate his hands were up or his back was turned, but the autopsy team can’t be sure without more information, the pathologist said.

AUG. 19 - Nixon says he will not seek the removal of the prosecutor overseeing the investigation into Brown’s death. St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch’s deep family connections to police have been cited by some black leaders who question his ability to be impartial. In the streets, a more subdued protest unfolds, with smaller crowds, fewer confrontations and no tear gas.

AUG. 20 - Holder visits Ferguson to offer assurances about the investigation into Brown’s death. He says he understands why many black Americans do not trust police, recalling how he was repeatedly stopped by officers who seemed to target him because of his race. Holder also meets with investigators and Brown’s family. In nearby Clayton, a grand jury begins hearing evidence to determine whether Wilson should be charged. Protesters return to the streets but in diminished numbers and with far fewer arrests.

AUG. 21 - Nixon orders the National Guard to begin withdrawing from Ferguson after flare-ups have begun to subside. McCulloch reiterates that he has no intention of removing himself from the case, and urges Nixon to decide once and for all if he will act on calls for McCulloch’s ouster.

AUG. 22 - The streets stay peaceful for another night in Ferguson, and instead of confrontations with police, several protesters stop to talk one-on-one with officers. While many residents are hopeful that tensions are waning, some say they fear the community’s anger could explode anew if the grand jury doesn’t return a charge against the officer.

AUG. 23 -The St. Louis County NAACP holds a youth-led march in Ferguson. A diverse group of marchers, including police officials, gather peacefully. Earlier in the day, a moment of silence is observed at the first home football game at the high school Brown attended. In St. Louis, supporters of Wilson hold a rally.

AUG. 24 - Michael Brown’s father pleads for a “day of silence” and peace has he prepares to lay his son to rest. Michael Brown Sr. spoke at a festival in St. Louis that promotes peace over violence. The festival had been planned before the Aug. 9 shooting, but took on new resonance in the aftermath.

AUG. 25 - Funeral for Brown set for 10 a.m. at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide