- Associated Press - Thursday, September 18, 2014

FLINT, Mich. (AP) - Flint authorities say they’re investigating about 50 cases of water service theft and they’re cracking down on those responsible.

Flint police Chief James Tolbert announced Wednesday that retired police official Marcus Mahan has been hired to investigate water theft.

The Flint Journal reports (https://bit.ly/1wGT5gW ) officials describe the problem as massive. Mahan told reporters during a news conference that “numerous individuals” think stealing water is OK. He says that’s not the case and “we’re going to prosecute you to the fullest.”

Other agencies involved in the crackdown are the city attorney’s office, the Genesee County prosecutor’s office and the sheriff’s department. Prosecutor David Leyton says he has dedicated an attorney to help prosecute cases from the investigation.

So far, seven people face charges from Leyton’s office, including a city worker.

___

Information from: The Flint Journal, https://www.mlive.com/flint

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide