- Associated Press - Thursday, September 18, 2014

GIRARD, Ill. (AP) - Classes resumed Thursday at a Springfield-area school two days after a carbon monoxide leak sickened more than 140 students and adults.

Levels of the odorless gas were at zero at North Mac Schools on Wednesday after repairs to the faulty furnace flue at the intermediate school, Superintendent Marica Cullen wrote on the district’s website. Carbon monoxide detectors were installed and tested in buildings in Girard and Virden, The (Springfield) State Journal-Register reported (https://bit.ly/1wrB1Va ).

Experts verified the flue was the source by recreating the problem and monitoring carbon monoxide levels in the building on Tuesday. School officials called students who had sought treatment after the leak Monday and were told that everyone was doing well.

Illinois doesn’t require schools to have carbon monoxide detectors.

Girard is in Macoupin (muh-KOO’-pin) County, about 25 miles southwest of Springfield.

___

Information from: The State Journal-Register, https://www.sj-r.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide