- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 2, 2014

WASHINGTON (AP) - A family spokesman says relatives of freelance journalist Steven Sotloff are aware of a new video purporting to show his beheading by Islamic State militants.

In a two-sentence statement Tuesday, family spokesman Barak Barfi said Sotloff’s family, quote, “knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately.”

The family has not been told whether the video is authentic, and Barfi said the family does not plan to make any additional comments now.

Earlier, the State Department said U.S. intelligence officials were still trying to determine if the video was genuine.

Sotloff had been held by the Islamic State since last year.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide