- Associated Press - Saturday, September 20, 2014

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) - Organizers are blaming last year’s floods and recent deaths in the running community for their decision to cancel the annual Boulder Marathon.

The Daily Camera (https://bit.ly/Z2iRP2 ) reports Saturday that the sudden cancellation of the Oct. 5 race confused and angered some would-be competitors.

Race Director Jeff Mason says the decision was fueled in part by the deaths of 20-year-old Jessica Dillon during May’s Boulder Spring Half Marathon and 53-year-old Lesley Kinder, the founder and former director of the Boulder Backroads Marathon.

Mason purchased the race from Kinder in 2007.

Last year’s marathon was also canceled due to devastating floods in Boulder. In an email to runners, Mason says the floods made this year’s race impossible.



He says those who planned to compete can use their entry fee next year.

___

Information from: Daily Camera, https://www.dailycamera.com/

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide